Horchata, although not as popular as margarita, is perhaps the most fascinating cocktail drink that originated in the Latin America. The exact location from where this cocktail was first created is unknown. However, this does not mean you cannot learn how to make a rum horchata drink which is as good as the original.
The most authentic rum horchata recipes are family treasures which secret ingredients are closely guarded. On the other hand, you will be able to make a few, which are just as yummy as the traditional rum horchata drink.
The Funky Monkey Rum Horchata
- This recipe is an original from one of the known Latin American-themed restaurants. The Funky Monkey Rum Horchata is one cocktail drink that brings back childhood memories. Why shouldn’t it be when the ingredients include some milk and vanilla?
5 ounces of horchata
1 ounce of rum
½ ounce of good vanilla
½ ounce of Kahlua
- Directions for making horchata:
- The first thing you need to learn how to make is the horchata. You will be needing:
1 cup uncooked long grain rice (white)
5 cups of water
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup almonds
- Blanch the almonds in hot water for a minute, drain in cold water, then slide off the skin. Dry them then toast them in a skillet pan until lightly brown.
- Grind the rice in a blender or grinder until it turns into fine powder.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice flour, toasted almonds ground cinnamon then 3 cups of hot water. Mix the ingredients well and leave to cool overnight at room temperature.
- The next day, place the concoction in a blender and add 2 cups of cold water. Blend until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Strain the liquid into a jar. Add the sugar and milk in the jar and stir until the granules are dissolved. You can do the horchata days before you use it. Just place it in an air tight container and store in the refrigerator. If you are afraid of spoilage, you can add the milk just before you mix your rum horchata.
- Directions for making the cocktail:
- In a pint glass, pour in all the ingredients – horchata, rum, vanilla and Kahlua. Fill with ice until ¾ through the glass then cover with shaker.
- Shake the mixture well for 20 seconds then strain contents into a long glass. If you want ice in your cocktail, you can place a few ice cubes before drinking your Funky Monkey Rum Horchata.
Frozen Horchata Milk Punch
- This is another recipe from a Latin American restaurant, which is ordered mostly in the late afternoon or during the happy hour. The Frozen Horchata Milk Punch is derived from the recipe, horchata granizada.
- To learn how to make a rum horchata drink of this variant, you will need:
2 tbsp. of liquid glucose
1 liter of horchata (which you already know how to make)
9 ounces of rum
- Warm the glucose. Before it simmers, whisk in the horchata.
- When fully combined, pour the mixture into a square cake pan and freeze for about 2-3 hours.
- Scrape the mixture into crystals using a fork. Do this once every hour until the frozen mixture turns into a homogenous granita.
- Pour the granita, equally, in 6 tumblers then top with rum before serving.
Learning how to make a rum horchata drink isn’t as hard if you buy a premade horchata. However, to make your cocktail more authentic, you can make the Latin American drink yourself and wow your guests with your new-found skill.